Pelé has re-entered an intensive care unit at a Sao Paulo hospital, ESPN Brazil reported on Friday.
The 80-year-old Brazilian soccer legend had left Albert Einstein Hospital on Tuesday after a successful surgery to remove a tumor in early September.
Reports say the three-time World Cup winner returned to the UCI due to acid reflux.
The hospital said it had no new information.
After leaving the UCI earlier this week, Pele said in a message to fans on Instagram that he was ready for “90 minutes, plus overtime.”
Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk without assistance. His public appearances were already being cut before the Covid pandemic and he has made few unnecessary inroads outside of his home near Santos since then.
After leaving the ICU earlier this week, his daughter Kely Nascimento posted on social media to confirm that the procedure had been successful and that Pelé had no pain after surgery.
“He is strong and stubborn and with the support and care of the brilliant team at Einstein and all the love, energy and light that the world is sending out, he will get through this,” he said.
Pelé won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and remains Brazil’s all-time top scorer with 77 goals in 92 games.