New Zealand Cricket says it is abandoning the Black Caps’ first scheduled game in Pakistan in 18 years.
New Zealand postponed its cricket tour of Pakistan over security concerns that puzzled the hosts, just before the Black Caps’ first scheduled game in Pakistan in 18 years.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said on Friday that New Zealand Cricket informed it that “they had been alerted to some security alert and unilaterally decided to postpone the series.”
The PCB said Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke with New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and informed her: “We have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and there is no security threat of any kind to the team. visitor”.
The New Zealand Cricket (NZC) safety team had cleared Rawalpindi and Lahore last month for the tour of three one-day internationals, the first on Friday, and five Twenty20s.
Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and had unilaterally decided to postpone the series.
The PCB and the Pakistani government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. 1/4
– Pakistan Cricket (@TheRealPCB) September 17, 2021
“The Pakistan Cricket Board and the Pakistani government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the same to the New Zealand Cricket, ”said the PCB.
In a statement, NZC said it was abandoning the tour “following a security alert from the New Zealand government.”
“Following an escalation in the New Zealand government threat levels to Pakistan, and advice from NZC security advisers on the ground, it has been decided that BLACKCAPS will not continue the tour,” he said.
NZC CEO David White said in a statement that it was simply not possible to continue the tour given the advice he was receiving.
“Now arrangements are being made for the team’s departure.”