A woman in Canada woke up in shock earlier this week when a rock smashed into the roof of her home and landed on her bed, narrowly passing it, but spraying sand and other debris on her face, while her dog he was barking frantically.
Police were called in and the culprit was initially suspected to be a nearby construction site where work must have sent the fist-sized projectile onto the woman’s pillow. But when construction workers said they had not caused an explosion, but had just seen an explosion in the sky, a consensus quickly emerged that the culprit was a meteorite, the Canadian Press. reported.
Ruth Hamilton was nearly asleep in Golden, a small town in the middle of the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia, on October 3 when her dog started barking and she woke with a start.
“I’ve never been so scared in my life,” she said. “I wasn’t sure what to do, so I called 911 and when I was talking to the operator, I turned my pillow over and saw that a stone had slipped between two pillows.”
It turned out that there had been a meteor shower in the skies over western Canada that night. Hamilton plans to keep the space rock and is very relieved it was not injured.
“I was in shock and I just sat here for a few hours shaking,” she said. “The chances of that happening are very small, so I am very grateful to be alive.”