Team news, stats and predictions ahead of Aston Villa vs Everton in the Premier League on Saturday Night Football; start 17.30 h.
Emi Buendia and Emi Martinez will be evaluated when they return from Croatia on Saturday, a few hours before Aston Villa play Everton.
The pair have been training in Croatia to avoid being forced to self-quarantine after international duty with Argentina and Villa’s boss Dean Smith will make a late call about their availability.
Youngsters Jaden Philogene-Bidace and Carney Chukwuemeka get injured for the hosts.
Everton He will be left without Dominic Calvert-Lewin, but James Rodriguez could be involved for the first time this season.
Calvert-Lewin now has a quadriceps injury in addition to the broken finger he was nursing and it looks like he could be out for up to three weeks.
Rodriguez, who was strongly linked to a move away from Goodison Park during the transfer window and has yet to become involved with Rafael Benítez, has been training with his teammates and the 2014 World Cup Golden Boot winner could be on the bench on Saturday. .
How to follow
Aston Villa vs Everton is live Sky Sports Premier League from 5pm; start 17.30 h. Sky sports Customers can view clips of the game on the Live Match Blog at the Sky sports website and app. Highlights will also be posted on the Sky sports digital platforms and Soccer Sky Sports YouTube channel shortly after the final whistle.
Last time …
Jones knows the prediction
Villa was moved by many tongues with his performance at Chelsea. Yes, going 3-0 isn’t exactly a cause for joy, but the performance on display, with Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings starting on offense, looked promising. They created an expected goal number of 1.73 at Stamford Bridge and posted 18 shots on Edouard Mendy’s goal. Since Thomas Tuchel took over, no opposition team has racked up a higher expected goal number in a Chelsea home game.
The question is, can they be trusted to back that performance in a completely different match scenario? Never trust a much improved race in isolation, a wise horse racing bettor told me. That may ring true here. I have my doubts about Villa with some snoozy and carefree early season performances, defined by me as Grealish’s hangover, that still linger in my thoughts. I’m happy to face them with Everton in the city and then start respecting them as a force going forward if they support Chelsea’s performance.
Everton will be happy to allow Villa the ball and that will be good for Rafa Benítez’s guys down to the ground. Not many teams go to Brighton and play with such control and effervescence on the fast break. They got a result there playing that way and this could be a similar result.
SCORE PREDICTION: 1-2
BETTING ANGLE: Everton draw no bet (11/10 with Sky Bet)
- Aston Villa are unbeaten in four league games against Everton, winning two and drawing two. They had only won two of their previous 15 Premier League meetings with the Toffees (D7 L6).
- Everton have won three of their last six away league games against Aston Villa (1 draw, 2 losses), as many as in their 29 previous visits to Villa Park (3 losses 12 draws, 14).
- Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last four Premier League home games (two wins and two draws), and the last was the longest unbeaten at Villa Park in the January 2015 competition with Paul Lambert (5 matches).
- Following a run in which they kept 10 clean sheets in 17 Premier League games (14 goals conceded), Aston Villa has recorded just two shutouts in their last 16 in the competition (26 goals conceded). However, both clean sheets came in home games, including one against Everton in May.
- Everton have lost just two of their last 17 away games in the Premier League (10 wins and 5 draws), and those losses came at Chelsea and Manchester City last season. The Toffees have recorded seven clean sheets in their last 10 league games away from home, as many as in their previous 33 on the road.